There are so many different social media analytics software that making a shortlist of the best can be tricky. You want to track metrics like engagement rates, follower growth, and content performance, providing insights into audience behavior and preferences—and now need the right tool for your brand and team. I've got you covered! In this post, I share from my personal experience using many different social media analytics tools, and share my picks of the best social media analytics software overall.
Why Trust Our Reviews
We’ve been testing and reviewing marketing software since 2022. As marketing experts ourselves, we know how critical and difficult it is to make the right decision when selecting software.
We invest in deep research to help our audience make better software purchasing decisions. We’ve tested more than 2,000 tools for different marketing use cases and written over 1,000 comprehensive software reviews. Learn how we stay transparent & our software review methodology.
How to Choose Social Media Analytics Software
With so many different social media analytics software available, it can be challenging to make decisions on what social media analytics software is going to be the best fit for your needs.
As you're shortlisting, trialing, and selecting social media analytics software, consider the following:
- What problem are you trying to solve - Start by identifying the social media analytics feature gap you're trying to fill to clarify the features and functionality the social media analytics software needs to provide.
- Who will need to use it - To evaluate cost and requirements, consider who'll be using the software and how many licenses you'll need. You'll need to evaluate if it'll just be the marketing team, or the whole organization that will require access. When that's clear, it's worth considering if you're prioritizing ease of use for all, or speed for your marketing software power users.
- What other tools it needs to work with - Clarify what tools you're replacing, what tools are staying, and the tools you'll need to integrate with, such as accounting, CRM or HR software. You'll need to decide if the tools will need to integrate together, or alternatively, if you can replace multiple tools with one consolidated social media analytics software.
- What outcomes are important - Consider the result that the software needs to deliver to be considered a success. Consider what capability you want to gain, or what you want to improve, and how you will be measuring success. For example, an outcome could be the ability to get greater visibility into performance. You could compare social media analytics software features until you’re blue in the face but if you aren’t thinking about the outcomes you want to drive, you could be wasting a lot of valuable time.
- How it would work within your organization - Consider the software selection alongside your workflows and delivery methodology. Evaluate what's working well, and the areas that are causing issues that need to be addressed. Remember every business is different — don’t assume that because a tool is popular that it'll work in your organization.
Best for market research
Best for measuring cross-channel performance
Best for creating downloadable reports
Best for analyzing other web 2.0 properties including blogs and forums
Best for analyzing social media campaigns as part of the wider customer journey
Best for automatic alerts
Best for blue-chip brands
- Hubspot Marketing Hub
Best for companies already using the HubSport suite of tools
Best for identifying influencers in your audience
- Social Status
Best for analyzing paid social media campaigns
Best for e-commerce brands
Related Marketing Tool Reviews
If you still haven't found what you're looking for here, check out these tools closely related to digital marketing strategy that we've tested and evaluated.
- Marketing Software
- Marketing Management Software
- Account Based Marketing Software
- Social Media Management Software
- Email Marketing Software
Selection Criteria for Social Media Analytics Software
Selecting the right social media analytics software involves a careful evaluation of what they have to offer. Through extensive personal trials and research, I've developed criteria to guide software buyers towards making an informed decision.
Core Social Media Analytics Software Functionality: 25% of total weighting score
The solution should support these common use cases:
- Tracking engagement metrics (likes, shares, comments)
- Analyzing audience demographics and behavior
- Monitoring brand mentions and sentiment analysis
- Competitor analysis and benchmarking
- Reporting and visualization of data
Additional Standout Features: 25% of total weighting score
- Advanced sentiment analysis leveraging AI and NLP for deeper insights
- Predictive analytics for forecasting trends and campaign outcomes
- Integration capabilities with CRM and marketing automation tools for streamlined workflows
- Real-time alerts for instant response to social mentions or crises
- Influencer tracking and analysis to identify and engage with brand advocates
Usability: 10% of total weighting score
In evaluating usability, I look for:
- An intuitive, clean interface design that simplifies navigation
- Customizable dashboards that allow users to highlight key metrics
- Drag-and-drop features for easy report creation
- Mobile app availability for on-the-go monitoring and analysis
Onboarding: 10% of total weighting score
Effective onboarding is key to realizing value quickly:
- Comprehensive training materials such as videos, webinars, and tutorials
- Interactive product tours and easy-to-use templates
- Responsive customer support during the setup process
- A community forum for peer advice and best practices
Customer Support: 10% of total weighting score
Strong customer support is essential:
- Multiple channels for support (email, chat, phone)
- A knowledge base with FAQs and troubleshooting guides
- Quick response times and proactive support options
- Dedicated account management for enterprise clients
Value For Money: 10% of total weighting score
Value assessment involves:
- Transparent pricing models with no hidden costs
- Flexible plans that scale with business growth
- Free trials or demos to evaluate the tool before purchase
- Features and capabilities that justify the investment
Customer Reviews: 10% of total weighting score
Customer feedback provides real-world insights:
- High overall satisfaction scores indicating a positive user experience
- Testimonials highlighting specific benefits and improvements
- Reviews that mention successful resolution of pain points
- Frequent mentions of ease of use, robust features, and excellent support
By meticulously evaluating these criteria, you can select a social media analytics tool that not only meets your immediate needs but also scales with your business, ensuring you derive maximum value from your social media efforts.
Trends in Social Media Analytics Software for 2024
Here are some trends I’ve noticed for social media analytics technology, plus what they might mean for the future of the marketing industry. I sourced countless product updates, press releases, and release logs to tease out the most important insights.
- Integration with Emerging Social Platforms: Analytics tools are expanding their reach beyond traditional platforms like Facebook and Instagram to include newer and niche platforms such as TikTok and Discord. This trend underscores the importance of keeping pace with where audiences are moving and the diversification of social media usage. It addresses the challenge of capturing a complete view of social engagement across a fragmented media landscape.
- Advanced Sentiment Analysis and Emotional Intelligence: Tools are increasingly leveraging AI and NLP to provide deeper sentiment analysis, going beyond positive, neutral, or negative to understand emotions like joy, anger, or disappointment. This evolution speaks to the need for brands to grasp the nuanced emotional impact of their content, enabling more empathetic and targeted marketing strategies.
- Predictive Analytics and Trend Forecasting: The incorporation of predictive analytics into social media analytics tools allows marketers to anticipate trends, content virality, and audience behavior. This feature is a response to the demand for proactive rather than reactive social media strategies, giving brands the edge in a competitive market.
- Enhanced Data Privacy and Compliance Features: In response to increasing global data privacy regulations, analytics tools are prioritizing features that ensure compliance with laws such as GDPR and CCPA. This trend reflects the growing need for brands to manage social media analytics within legal boundaries, safeguarding user privacy while still gaining valuable insights.
- Automated Content Optimization Recommendations: Tools are now offering automated suggestions for content optimization, including the best times to post, content formats that are likely to perform well, and personalized content recommendations. This functionality addresses the challenge of continuously engaging audiences in a content-saturated social landscape.
- Declining Emphasis on Vanity Metrics: There's a noticeable shift away from focusing solely on vanity metrics such as likes and followers towards metrics that measure engagement quality and conversion. This shift aligns with the growing understanding that meaningful engagement drives more value than sheer numbers.
These trends indicate a broader shift towards more sophisticated, ethical, and user-centric approaches in social media analytics.
What Is Social Media Analytics Software?
Social media analytics software is a tool that collects and analyzes data from social media platforms to provide insights into social media performance. It tracks various metrics such as likes, shares, comments, follower growth, and engagement rates. The purpose is to help businesses understand how their content is performing, who their audience is, and how they interact with the content.
Features of Social Media Analytics Software
The key features of social media analytics software encompass a range of functionalities designed to help businesses and organizations leverage their social media presence effectively. Here's a detailed look at these features:
- Data Aggregation: Collects data from various social media platforms to provide a comprehensive view of social interactions. This includes metrics like likes, shares, comments, and more.
- Sentiment Analysis: Uses natural language processing (NLP) to determine the sentiment behind social media posts and comments, helping brands understand public perception towards their products, services, or overall brand image.
- Trend Analysis: Identifies and analyzes trends in social media conversations and engagement. This helps in spotting popular topics or hashtags, enabling brands to engage with current and relevant content.
- Competitor Analysis: Offers comparative insights into competitors' social media strategies. This includes comparing engagement rates, follower growth, and content strategy effectiveness.
- Influencer Identification: Detects and suggests influencers and key opinion leaders relevant to a brand's industry. This feature aids in identifying potential partners for influencer marketing campaigns.
- Engagement Tracking: Monitors how users interact with a brand's social media content, including likes, shares, comments, and other forms of engagement. This helps in understanding what content resonates best with the audience.
- Campaign Analysis: Measures the performance of social media campaigns across platforms. Metrics such as reach, engagement, conversion rates, and ROI are tracked to assess effectiveness.
- Audience Demographics: Provides insights into the demographics of a brand's social media audience, including age, gender, location, and interests. This information is crucial for tailoring content and advertising strategies.
- Reporting and Visualization: Generates detailed reports and visual dashboards that summarize social media performance metrics and insights, making it easier for teams to understand and act on the data.
- Real-time Alerts and Monitoring: Offers real-time monitoring for mentions of a brand, product, or relevant keywords across social media platforms. Alerts can notify teams of potential issues or opportunities as they arise.
- Content Optimization: Some tools offer recommendations for content optimization, suggesting the best times to post, the types of content likely to engage the audience, and other strategies to enhance social media performance.
- Integration Capabilities: Seamlessly integrates with other tools and platforms, such as CRM systems, marketing automation tools, and content management systems, to streamline workflows and data analysis.
These features collectively enable businesses to craft more effective social media strategies, engage with their audience more meaningfully, and measure the impact of their efforts with precision.
Benefits of Social Media Analytics Software
Social media analytics software has become an indispensable tool for businesses and users aiming to maximize their online presence and engage effectively with their audience. Here are five primary benefits that illustrate the value of social media analytics software:
- Enhanced Audience Understanding: Gain a deep understanding of your audience's demographics, interests, and behavior. This insight allows businesses to tailor content, campaigns, and products to meet the specific needs and preferences of their target audience, resulting in higher engagement rates and customer satisfaction.
- Strategic Content Optimization: Optimize your social media content strategy based on data-driven insights. By analyzing what content performs best, when to post, and which platforms are most effective, businesses can increase their reach and engagement, ensuring that their marketing efforts are not wasted on ineffective strategies.
- Competitive Analysis and Benchmarking: Stay ahead of the competition by understanding their strategies and performance. Social media analytics software provides a clear view of how competitors are engaging with their audience, what content they are posting, and their overall social media presence, enabling businesses to identify opportunities and threats in their industry.
- Measurable ROI on Social Media Efforts: Quantify the impact of social media campaigns and strategies. By tracking metrics such as engagement, conversions, and reach, businesses can understand the direct financial impact of their social media activities, allowing for more accurate budget allocation and marketing investment decisions.
- Crisis Management and Real-time Alerts: Quickly respond to potential crises or negative feedback. Real-time monitoring and alerts enable businesses to address issues promptly, manage their reputation, and maintain a positive image in the public eye, thereby safeguarding their brand's integrity.
By leveraging these benefits, organizations can craft more effective social media strategies, foster stronger connections with their audience, and achieve tangible results from their social media investments.
Cost & Pricing for Social Media Analytics Software
Social media analytics software typically provide a range of functionalities from basic analytics to advanced features like predictive analytics, competitor analysis, and sentiment analysis. Here's a breakdown of the common plan options and their pricing to guide you in making an informed decision.
Plan Comparison Table for Social Media Analytics Software
|Common Features Included
|$0 - $100 per month
|- Basic analytics
- Limited reports
- Access to 1-3 social media platforms
- Community support
|$100 - $500 per month
|- Advanced analytics
- Custom reports
- Multi-platform integration
- Email support
|$500 - $1,000 per month
|- All Professional features
- Team collaboration tools
- Sentiment analysis
- Dedicated account manager
|$1,000+ per month
|- All Business features
- Predictive analytics
- Unlimited social platforms
- 24/7 support
- Custom integrations
|- Basic analytics with limited data history
- Access to 1-2 social media platforms
- Community forums
When selecting a social media analytics software, consider both the scale of your social media efforts and the depth of insights you need. The right plan should not only fit your budget but also provide the features necessary to achieve your specific marketing objectives.
Additional Analytics Tool Reviews
Marketing software comes in all shapes and sizes, from social media platform management to website and product reporting. You'll probably need several tools to cover the whole gambit of needs. Here are some other software review lists that I recommend checking out:
- Social Listening Tools
- Marketing Intelligence Software
- Marketing Analytics Tools
- Marketing Measurement Tools
- Marketing Attribution Software
- Marketing Dashboard Software
- Market Intelligence Software
- PR Analytics Tools
- Content Analytics Software
- Performance Marketing Platforms
Learn More About Social Media Marketing
Don’t leave your social media strategy to chance. Use one of the above platforms to analyze the impact of your campaigns in real-time, boost your business’ reach on social and improve your ROI.
If you want more insights into effective social media marketing strategies or trends to grow your business, try one of the following articles:
Or learn to become a better social media marketer by subscribing to our newsletter today.