With so many different marketing segmentation tools available, figuring out which is right for you is tough. You know you want to tailor your marketing strategies and messages to specific audience segments, enhancing the relevance and effectiveness of your campaigns—but now need to figure out which platform is best. I've got you! In this post, I'll help make your choice easy, sharing my personal experiences using dozens of different marketing segmentation software with brands of all sizes, with my picks of the best marketing segmentation tools overall.
What Is a Marketing Segmentation Tool?
Marketing segmentation tools are software solutions used to categorize a business's target audience into distinct groups based on shared characteristics such as age, location, buying habits, or interests. These tools analyze customer data to identify patterns and create segments, enabling marketers to tailor their strategies and communications to each specific group. The purpose is to deliver more relevant and effective marketing messages, improve customer engagement, and drive better business results.
UpLead is a B2B prospecting platform with features that help facilitate B2B lead segmentation at scale.
Why I picked UpLead: instead of just offering company and contact databases, UpLead also offers implementation tools to help you create segmented campaigns and deliver unique website content to specific segments.
UpLead is a good match if you’re using an ABM Lite approach and want more data points to help you segment your campaigns effectively.
UpLead Standout Features and Integrations
Features include account identification, lead enrichment, prospect segmentation, intent data segmentation, website personalization, and segmented email campaigns.
Integrations include Salesforce, HubSpot, Insightly, Zoho CRM, Pipedrive, Microsoft Dynamics 365, Outreach, SalesLoft, Reply, Woodpecker, Copper, and Mailshake.
- Segmentation available for email and website content through integrations.
- Intent data helps you prioritize leads and target accounts.
- Good quality company and contact data.
- Credits used for exporting company information, not just verified contact info.
- Limited integrations.
Google Analytics isn’t just a website analytics tool, it also includes powerful audience segmentation tools that you can easily apply to your Google Ads campaigns.
Why I picked Google Analytics: Google Analytics is free and already in use on most websites for analytics, and it has audience segmentation tools that are often underutilized by marketing teams. It's somewhat lacking in terms of integrations and easy implementation (except for Google Ads), but it can be a great starting point into the world of segmentation for smaller marketing teams.
Google Analytics Standout Features and Integrations
Features include website tracking, audience reporting, demographics data, audience segmentation options, audience creation for Google Ads, and more.
Integrations include Google Ads, Google Data Studio, Google AdSense, Google Customer Match, Search Console, and custom integrations through third-party solutions.
- Plenty of pre-built audience segment reports available.
- Easy to segment Google Ads campaigns based on website interactions.
- 100% free for most use cases.
- Limited segmentation implementation options beyond Google Ads.
- Native integrations are limited to Google Products.
Segment (a subdivision of Twilio since 2020) is a customer data platform (unified analytics and audience management platform) designed to tackle the problem of data silos in marketing and customer management.
Why I picked Segment: It’s one of the only platforms available that was built from the ground-up to tackle audience segmentation across multiple channels specifically.
Segment Standout Features and Integrations
Features include data distribution, data unification (single source of truth), audience segmentation recommendations, real-time dashboards, and custom audience reports.
Integrations include Bing Ads, Criteo, Double Click, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads, and 300+ more data sources and destinations.
- Built into the Twilio platform so you can easily segment campaigns based on real-time data.
- Generate reliable insights based on multi-channel data.
- Get all your customer data in the same place.
- Certain useful features are locked behind expensive add-ons.
- With visits-based pricing, Segment can be pricey for high-traffic sites.
Amplitude is a product usage intelligence platform that helps companies find patterns, improve their user experience, and boost the average customer lifetime.
Why I picked Amplitude: Amplitude makes it easy to create and compare the performance of different segments throughout your application.
Amplitude Standout Features and Integrations
Features include user event tracking, demographics data, real-time reporting, user segmentation, cross-device unification, custom events, and user path tracking.
Integrations include Appcues, Adobe Analytics, Census, Bento, Fivetran, Facebook Ads, Google Ads, Shopify, Salesforce, and HubSpot.
- Import event data through a myriad of integrations.
- Powerful custom events help you track the complete customer journey.
- Easy to create custom segment reports.
- No default templates or views to help you get started — you start from scratch.
- Not always easy to prioritize meaningful events.
Clearbit calls itself a “data activation platform” for B2B companies because it helps you enrich undetailed lead lists, capture intent-based signals, and use that data to reach your prospects with targeted ads.
Why I picked Clearbit: It can be hard to segment lead lists if you don’t have a lot of information on those lists beyond names and email addresses. With Clearbit’s data enrichment tool, you can expand what you know with third-party data and use that to segment your outreach for better results.
Clearbit Standout Features and Integrations
Features include de-anonymizing website traffic, data enrichment, total addressable market analysis, internationalization, audience segmentation, and high-value client recommendations.
Integrations include Salesforce, Segment, Marketo, HubSpot, Drift, LeanData, Madkudu, Uberflip, Outgrow, Mutiny, and Workato.
- Your sales team gets notified whenever the target account visits your site (even anonymously).
- Find more accurate contact information for aged lead lists.
- Segment new prospect lists right inside Salesforce or other CRMs thanks to Clearbit integrations.
- Pricing is based on database size, so for companies with large lists it can be quite expensive.
- No advertising platform integrations, so implementation requires some hands-on work.
Sprout Social is a social media management and analytics platform designed for companies that want to make the most of their organic social media.
Why I picked Sprout Social: Sprout Social gives you the social analytics to figure out when different segments of your audience engage with different types of posts, and can help you schedule posts to different segments of your audience (like different countries or time zones) at different times.
Sprout Social Standout Features and Integrations
Features include social listening, sentiment analysis, paid campaign management, audience engagement analysis, social publishing, and social engagement tools.
Integrations include Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, Twitter TikTok, Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, Marketo, Shopify, and WooCommerce.
- Scheduling and workflow tools are well-designed and easy to use.
- Interact with multiple social channels from one dashboard.
- Analyze performance based on audience, not just hashtags and topics.
- Even low-level plans are a bit expensive.
- No feed preview.
Baremetrics is a customer data and insight platform specifically designed for subscription-based businesses.
Why I picked Baremetrics: Baremetrics can help you figure out who your best customers are. You can then create a reward program to boost loyalty or an ABM strategy to find more good clients. These insights are also easier to find than in much more expensive CRM solutions.
Baremetrics Standout Features and Integrations
Features include revenue benchmarking, customer segmentation, trial insights, failed payment recovery, cancellation insights, and revenue forecasting.
Integrations include Stripe, Paypal, Magento, Shopify, WooCommerce, Google Wallet, Big Cartel, Clover, and Dwolla.
- Reduce churn with cancellation insights.
- Segment your customers easily based on real transaction data.
- Revenue dashboards are generated automatically through integrations.
- Limited options for comparing different data sets over time.
- The only native integrations are payment processing platforms.
Kissmetrics is a behavioral analytics and customer engagement platform with support for custom event tracking, behavior funnels, and more.
Why I picked Kissmetrics: The default reports included in Kissmetrics make it easy to segment your audience and customers based on important variables like geographic location, devices, and events. This data can help you unlock insights about which customer and prospect segments are most valuable to your business.
Kissmetrics Standout Features and Integrations
Features include event tracking, conversion tracking, funnel tracking, user segmentation, multi-device unification, and user data management.
Integrations include Appcues, Chargify, Hubspot, Magento, Help Scout, Callrail, Marketo, Optimizely, Mailchimp, Recurly, VWO, Facebook Ads, and Shopify.
- Funnel reports are comprehensive and easy to understand.
- Good out-of-the-box reports and dashboards.
- Easy to set up and start using.
- Even the cheapest plan is a bit expensive for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Limited demographics data compared to Google Analytics and other alternatives.
HubSpot Marketing Hub is a marketing platform with a built-in CRM and email marketing platform with strong segmentation capabilities. It also has a complete content marketing management platform included.
Why I picked HubSpot: With HubSpot you can't just segment your audiences, but create and implement multi-channel campaigns based on those segments from the same platform. If you rely heavily on content marketing and email, HubSpot might be a good fit.
HubSpot Standout Features and Integrations
Features include content marketing management, CRM, list segmentation, and email campaigns.
Integrations include Facebook Ads, Google Ads, LinkedIn Ads, DataBox, Google Contacts, WordPress, and 100+ more platforms.
- Built-in CRM and multi-channel attribution tools can reliably track the results of your campaigns.
- Create and manage segmented campaigns across email, social media ads, and web content from the same dashboard.
- Segment customers and prospects by a wide variety of factors from product page visits to company metrics.
- Some of its best features are locked behind more expensive plans or add-ons.
- Not as useful for ecommerce.
Brandwatch is one of the leading consumer intelligence platforms on the market. It combines social listening with market research to provide a real-time image of different consumer groups relevant to your business..
Why I picked Brandwatch: Most other tools on this list focus on segmenting customers by your own internal data, but this tool can help you identify new customer segments based on social media conversations and marketplace data. If you’re in the go-to-market stage or are looking to aggressively expand, Brandwatch could be a good match.
Brandwatch Standout Features and Integrations
Features include market analysis, competitor analysis, social listening, audience segmentation, media coverage tracking, and custom alerts.
Integrations include Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Conversocial, and Hootsuite.
- Automated competitor monitoring and analysis.
- Monitor keywords and conversations related to your brand on social media.
- It’s easy to find new customer segments to target.
- Likes missing from Twitter dashboard.
- Plans can be quite expensive.
Best customer segmentation tool for e-commerce
Best for segmenting in-app experiences
Best for targeted surveys and data filtering
Best email segmentation platform for SMBs and solo founders
Best website visitor tracking software segmenting lead campaigns
Best analytics platform for enterprise-level customer segmentation
Best email segmentation platform for mid-sized businesses
Google Customer Match
Best for accurately targeting digital ads by offline customer data
Best on-premises analytics solution for segmentation
Best product analytics for beginners
Selection Criteria for Marketing Segmentation Tools
The first thing I considered when compiling this list are the real challenges that marketing and IT teams face when trying to implement personalization within their own campaigns.
I then considered which marketing segmentation tools actively help solve these problems, while also considering more standard factors like ease of use, and customer reputation.
Here’s a short summary of the main selection criteria I used to develop my list of the best marketing segmentation tools for this article:
Integrations and ability to handle multiple channels
The expectation of personalization isn’t confined to a single channel, so robust integrations to implement segmentation across channels is a must. All options on this list feature native integration with a variety of relevant tools and platforms.
Real-time insights and actions
If you can't actually act on data in real time, it’s not going to make a difference in your campaigns. The tools on this list offer ways to either get important real-time insights (like notifications directly to sales reps) or automatically segment marketing content.
You might notice some overlap with our list of marketing analytics software, because of the importance of analyzing data from various sources to glean insights.
Conducive for cross-departmental collaboration
To avoid siloed data and processes, I’ve focused on tools that help bridge the gap between teams through integrations rather than stand-alone islands that only your marketing analysts will work on.
Ease of implementation
If it takes months to get up and running, that’s going to delay any potential improvements to your campaign. That’s why I’ve featured tools that typically don’t require a long onboarding process.
Price for features
I made sure that a cheap or even free market segmentation tool had at least the basic necessary tools, including segment options, activity tracking, and a seamless dashboard. More expensive tools needed to be worth their price tag, having more extensive tools like data distribution, segmentation recommendations, and custom reports.
What is market segmentation strategy?
What are the core features of a marketing segmentation tool?
How do you measure market segmentation?
When do you need marketing segmentation tools?
Other Marketing Analytics Tool Reviews
Marketing tools come in all shapes and sizes, from social media platform management to website and product reporting. You'll probably need several tools to cover the whole gambit of needs. Here are some other tool review lists that I recommend checking out:
- Marketing Analytics Tools
- Marketing Measurement Tools
- Marketing Attribution Software
- Marketing Dashboard Software
- Direct Mail Marketing Software
- PR Analytics Tools
Did You Find What You Were Looking For?
49% of consumers said they'd become a repeat buyer after a personalized experience with a retailer in 2022.
That’s where marketing segmentation software comes in for marketing strategy and planning. But to deliver a tailored experience to your prospects and customers, you need to find a tool that suits your unique needs.
Hopefully my list helped you find exactly that. If not, keep my selection criteria in mind when browsing the market for other options.
For more hand-picked marketing tool recommendations, along with advanced strategies and tips, sign up for our newsletter.